Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Suze Orman

One of my personal goals is to get out of debt and build my emergency fund back up. Personal finance has been a minor obsession with me for over a year now. Started when I read "Smart Women Finish Rich" by David Bach. I love that book. I believe it's a book that every woman should read, regardless of where she is in her life. The one point that I took from that book that I like to share, is that women should be saving 12% of their income, because the 10% rule was based on an average man's life expectancy. Women lives 20% longer then men, therefor should be saving 20% more. That book really frightened and inspired me. Cut to a year later and I'm much more worse off financially, just adding to my obsession.

Anyway, I don't expect that to last long (what's long...). When I began my search for knowledge I attended a seminar by the Learning Annex that featured Suze Orman as the keynote speaker. She was good. I've been meaning to pick up her book, but just haven't had the time. Anyway, surfing around last night I found her on my local PBS station giving a presentation on her latest book Women and Money: Owning the Power to Control your Financial Destiny. I was only able to catch about 30 minutes before they cut to the break where they ask for your contribution (I'm so guilty as I've not been able to renew my contribution) and then it Hero's came on. I'm going to program my Tivo to record the program for watching later on.

When I had cable, I would watch her program on CNBC, but at times found her manner abrasive. At times I felt really bad for the callers. Anyway, from what I was able to watch of her program on PBS, it seemed like a good inspirational, "women take control of your financial lives" talk. Once I watch the complete program I'll provide more info.

I'll post more about my personal finance obsession later. My question to you is, "Is your financial life in order?"

No comments: